If your dog is like mine they LOVE summer fun and getting wet and staying cool. Mine also take to the outdoors as much as possible soaking in the rays and great weather. we often go hiking, camping and spend time at the Lake swimming. We have some Summer Dog Safety Tips for you.
Did you know that dogs DO sweat, but it is so little that it really doesn’t keep them cool very much. They pant to take cool air into their lungs, which in turn overall cools their body. That’s why leaving your dog somewhere hot even for a few minutes is very dangerous. They only take in hot air and their bodies can’t cool themselves as needed! Yikes!
READ ON TO LEARN SOME MORE GREAT TIPS FOR KEEPING YOUR DOG SAFE THIS SUMMER!
- NEVER leave your dog in a hot car! It’s probably one of the worst things you can do. They have only minutes being in that heat before they get a heat stroke and can die. it’s just not worth the risk! On a hot day temps can rise to 90 degrees in the shade and 160 if parked right in the sun! That’s crazy isn’t it!? So leave your beloved at home, or if you must bring them with, grab some water and a dish so they can refresh and don’t forget their leash so you can bring them with if you have to leave the car.
- Keep their paws cool – they are sensitive! Concrete and yes even the ground can be very HOT! Dogs don’t get to wear shoes like us humans and we often don’t think about how hot the ground can get until we walk around our house or the beach barefooted and saying ouch ouch while we dance our way to a place that isn’t burning our feet. LOL Dogs are the same, Plus many a dog overheat this way also.
- Protect your dog from all those gross and intruding parasite like fleas and mosquitoes. Many of those bugs carry diseases that pets and humans can get and they are annoying as all get out.
- Provide a cool shaded place for your pet to relax and make sure they have fresh water. nothing is a better combo than those 2 things, especially in summer.
- Did you know dogs sunburn? Yep especially the short haired lighter colored ones, or the Mexican Hairless! LOL But really they do and can also get sun cancer, just like us humans. So got find that doggie sunblock for your next adventure!
- Don’t overfeed. Weight is the #1 disease among our pets. we love them, we spoil them, we want them to know they are loved. But overfeeding or feeding the wrong things for them only hurts them in the long run! Increasing exercise will not only do them good, but your heart also! If you have a dog that is overweight, just talk to your vet and develop a simple exercise and eating plan that will get you both on the right track. As always we offer some great all-natural treats.
- Don’t let your dog outside without a leash. If you don’t have a fence make sure you take your dog on leashed walks or a dog park that is fenced in to enjoy some outside time and exercise. you don’t want to loose your dog, you don’t want to scare others not familiar with your dog, and overall safety comes into play while outside.
I do hope these Summer Dog Safety Tips helped. 🙂 Summer is meant to be oh so fun and we want you to enjoy all it has to offer in a safe and fun way!